Sunday 19 February 2012

Environment, Urban - Artist Research

Now that I have a clear understanding of what urban environment means im now going to do a little artist research. I decided to have a look at street photography. I took out a book called 'Bystander a History of Street Photography' By Colin Westerbeck and Joel Meyerowitz. 



Looking through the book I came across the artist Bill Brandt. He was regarded as the most important street photographer of his generation. His photo 'Off India Docks Road' caught my eye.   
This scene was actually set up. The three hooligans are actually Brandts younger brother and two friends. They played the scene so convincingly that a cop stopped and looked over. This showed me that  you can actually set up scenes to try to get members of the public to react in a way that you as a photographer desire. I like the way that this photo is trying to show what happens behind the scenes of a city. It is not a photo of monuments, it is not trying to glorify the city. It is a photo directed at simply showing what happens behind scenes. Although it is half set up the appearance of the police man adds an element of a naturally occuring scene because the police man does not know a photo is being taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment